Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Banana Chocolate Walnut Bread

After coming home from spending the weekend with my family, I came upon a bunch of "heavily-spotted-ready-to-be-eaten" bananas. The only problem being-I cannot eat 4 bananas in the span of one day (not so appetizing). Realizing that Tuesday is my day off from classes, the abundance of free time that laid before me was calling for some excitement. For something delicious to fill the gap. My mind instantly rang "Banana Bread." My mom used to make Banana Bread every couple of months during my childhood. The sweet and subtle banana flavour paired with the nutty crunch of walnuts is a match made in heaven. I remembered that a previous issue of Cooking Light (October 2010) contained a whole section on Banana Bread's, perfect for the ripening bananas sitting on my bookcase. I didn't want to make just a classic Banana Bread, I was craving something a little more. That's when I came across the recipe for Banana Chocolate Walnut Bread. Perfect.
After receiving my very own Kitchenaid Stand Mixer from my Grandmother over Christmas, I've been looking for any and every excuse to use it. Today was that kind of day. Looking outside to a dreary and cold winter day, I knew that Banana Bread would make everything better. I am in love with comfort food, and that is what Banana Bread is to me. A comforting reminder of my childhood, intermingled between the moist textures and sweet flavours of this dessert/bread.
I began the recipe around lunch time (noon-ish) and as I placed the batter into the loaf pan, and then into the oven, the realization hit me that I wouldn't get to taste this for a whole hour. It was a painstaking hour indeed. The aroma of softly baking banana bread emitting from my oven was intoxicating. I'd lie if I said I didn't sit in front of the oven (every so often) waiting for the timer to hit 0:00.
As the timer buzzed, I rushed upstairs to release my dessert from it's warm and cozy oven. After letting it cool for 15 minutes, I finally cut myself a slice (the end piece first).
Biting into it was heavenly. The crisp and crunchy golden brown crust gave way to a moist-cakey sweet bread-dotted with chocolate chips. The combination of banana and chocolate is a wonderful one. The hour wait was well worth it, my craving satisfied as I popped the last bit of the end slice into my mouth. Now, what to do with the other 15 or so slices of Banana Bread...

No comments:

Post a Comment